Disregard that he's a total mess. Tonight Jared and the kids read a stirring piece called "The Innkeepers Wife". The kids only heard a paragraph here and there because when they read was the only time they were paying attention. I have to admit that I tuned out for a bit too--but only because right when we started I found the jury summons that I got in the mail the other day and knew that if I didn't take care of it right then they'd be hauling me off to jail...can't have that at Christmas.
Seth of course was rummaging through drawers. He can smell an opportunity--to get into things he's not supposed to--a mile away. He seized the moment. As I was getting my summons into an envelope he came up to me and said, "I make Saturn Mommy!" And there it was. A screwdriver with a BYU arm band for the rings. Genius you might think? I'm afraid the credit has to go to the show "Little Einsteins" on Disney. I was impressed though.
Rachel had the 4th grade Spelling Bee today. She made it into the top half and will advance to the campus spelling bee. Don't tell her this, but I think the whole thing is a bit of a joke. They have this list they buy from Merriam-Webster and they do not veer from it--which is good. However, it is pure luck as to whether you get a reasonably easy word or not. I felt bad for some of the kids. I don't think the system is an accurate indicator of how good of a speller a kid is. They only had 1 round today--so many kids got out on the 1st round they left it at that. Rachel's word was slave. Last year at the campus spelling bee she ironically got out on the word FAILURE. Now if that doesn't add salt to the wound! She didn't seem to think it was as funny as Jared and I did.
I didn't get to see any of "the BEE" because within seconds Seth proved he was not capable of being in the room, so I left and instructed Jared to give me a full report. It went so fast (again with the hard words) that I hadn't left the parking lot yet. (I was talking with someone for a bit.) He came out and gave me the thumbs up. I knew a few of the other kids who were in it, so I asked him about them. Particularly one boy, in our ward, who got difficult words last year and didn't get to the campus bee. I asked what word he got out on and Jared said, "I couldn't hear very well, but it was something like bidday." I said, "I hope he didn't ask for a definition!" It doesn't sound as funny when you're typing it, but believe me we (okay I) got a good laugh.
It is supposed to get down to 29 tonight. I guess I should bid adieu to my crocus that came up last week! I remember when we moved here and I saw homes with blankets all over their bushes...I didn't understand. Now I do. It's the only way to get anything to survive. I'm too lazy. I don't want to go out into the cold to tuck my plants in for the night--AND--I don't want the extra laundry. I know, It's cruel.
No comments:
Post a Comment